Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Paleo Honey Crepes

I am scrambling to think up new "desserts" since I am on strict paleo right now.  This means I can't work with any other gluten free flours that are made with rice, potato, etc.  So that is limiting to the goodies I can bake.  Enter coconut flour!  And almond flour!  There is hope, but it all still needs to be in moderation.  I also realize that making baked goods at all right now is going to stall my weight loss further, so I need to be realistic.

Yesterday I came up with this and I was amazed at how great it was (or maybe I was just starving!)

3 Tablespoons coconut flour/4 Tablespoons for taller crepes
1 Egg
2 Tablespoons sliced raw almonds
1 Tablespoon honey
1 Teaspoon light olive oil
pinch salt
3 Tablespoons almond milk (or other non dairy alternative, water could work)

Whisk until a batter like consistency.  Add more liquid or flour little bits at a time to achieve correct consistency. *Please note coconut flour is not anything like regular flour or other gluten free flours.  A little goes a long way and it involves a lot more liquid than flour to get it right.  The coconut flour drinks up moisture almost double it's own ratio of any other flour, so use it carefully to get your recipes right when working with it.

Heat a skillet to medium hot and put 1 Tablespoon coconut oil (this gives the best flavor)  Pour out silver dollar size portions so it will be easier to flip.  Cook like pancakes and put on paper towel to soak up any excess oil.

Serve with honey.  Yields about 4 small crepes.  You can double the recipe also.

Cheers


These were so delicious.  Light and fluffy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment